Salads are my favourite during summer, and they usually only comprise of a few simple ingredients. It’s all about using ingredients that are fresh and in season and you’ll end up with a tasty side to any meal. This one I created the other night for dinner when we had some friends over. I also like having quick and easy recipes up my sleeve for when guests are over so you’re not spending all your time in the kitchen and not socialising!
- 400g mixed variety cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt flakes
- 200g halloumi cheese
- 150g baby spinach
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 180®C. Meanwhile, chop the cherry tomatoes in half and cut half of the lemon into very thin slices, reserve the other half of the lemon for your dressing. Place the tomatoes and lemon in a baking dish with 1 tbsp of olive oil and a generous pinch of sea salt flakes. Mix well and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until soft, allow to cool.
- While the tomatoes are baking, slice the halloumi into thin slices and pan fry until golden in colour. Remove from the pan and allow to cool slightly before chopping roughly into smaller pieces.
- To make the salad dressing, combine the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of lemon juice into a sealable container. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and then shake well to combine.
- In a large bowl combine the baby spinach with the tomatoes, halloumi and dressing. Toss through well and place into a large bowl to serve.
Halloumi is a semi-ripened cheese meaning it is a low lactose alternative. Servings up to 50g should be tolerated by most people on a low FODMAP diet.